Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Dessert Deli

Yesterday RJ and I went with our moms to do some yummy cake tasting at the Dessert Deli! We were presented with individual plates with two slices of cake: one slice was white with chocolate mousse filling and vanilla buttercream frosting, and the other was a two layer yellow cake with a middle layer of chocolate cake and strawberry mousse filling with vanilla buttercream frosting. I was on a sugar high after all of that, but the cakes were absolutely delicious. My personal favorites were the chocolate cake, strawberry mousse, chocolate mousse, and white cake. I didn't care for the yellow cake, it was kind of dry.

Overall, the experience was very overwhelming and I was a bit put off that I was pushed to come up with the types of cake and designs that I wanted. It was also very much directed towards me answering the questions, when quite clearly this should be a group effort between RJ and I! For me, this is preliminary and the purpose was to try cake, look into pricing, and start to come up with some ideas. Although I felt pushed, I must say, the guy who worked with us was great and very friendly. He sketched out a nice fall themed cake for us; it was a 4 layer ivory cake with 2 layers of orange (might be fine tuning the shade once I have my dress), orange bands, and had calla lillies (I'm leaning towards this flower for my bouquet) placed around the layers. This kind of confirmed my desire to have orange incorporated, especially if we truly do go the "fall themed" route ... I need to get more of RJ's opinion on this.

After working through the sketch and getting a cost estimate (which was pretty reasonable, actually, for this place), we looked through some photo albums of the cakes they have made. They truly have a God-given talent; I admire people who can make such beautiful cakes and have the talent that they do. :) Can't wait to go to Muscoreil's next week for more cake tasting!

No comments:

Post a Comment